The most concerning stat of the game was that we were only 3 of 12 on 3rd down conversions! That’s only 25%!
Obviously, that’s not going to get it done. But, why did we have such trouble? Watch the video breakdown and see.
What Happened on 3rd Down??
- All the 3rd downs were 3rd and long, so they knew we weren’t going to run the ball. Unlike the rest of the downs, they didn’t need to sell out to stop the run. This allowed them to just focus on the pass.
- 3 of the incompletions were just off-target plays by Knight (he had 5 bad passes on the night).
- 2 of the plays didn’t work because K. J. Young made mistakes.
- Ty Darlington, the center, got beaten badly 3 different times which forced Knight to throw quickly with a defender coming right at him!
- One play didn’t work because Knight wasn’t patient enough. Had he stayed in the pocket and waited for his receivers to complete their routes he had two different options he could have passed to.